Last weekend Rico and I decided to give Sushi a try. We have never had it before. We went to Chaucer's without a clue what to get. Fortunately we had an awesome (yet unbelievably skanky) waitress that recommended some wonderful stuff. However, one in particular was rather spicy. I really needed to cool my palate. On the edge of my plate, there was a glob of something green that resembled avocado or guacamole. I thought that was weird because we were eating Japanese, not Mexican. I didn't think too much more about it because some of the sushi had avocado in it. Rico recommended that I eat some of that. So I take my cute little choppy sticks and picked up about a quarter-sized bite of this mysterious green paste. Yeah. NOT AVOCADO, but WASABI. For reals. Honestly, I am surprised that I still have nostril hair. That stuff B-U-R-N-S! Sure, it is fine in small amounts, but in excess, you run the risk of being bald-nosed, and permanently visually impaired. The whole time I am trying to maintain my compsure in this fine dining establishment, and gracefully spit it out onto my plate. I then proceeded to guzzle 14 gallons of water. Rico is CRACKING up by this point. And then I begin to think he did it to me on purpose, knowing it was wasabi, and fooling me into thinking it was avocado. He denies knowing, and tells me he was just as surprised as I was. HA. Nice try buck-o.
In the end, I have decided that Sushi is still my favorite new food. I am wondering how on earth I have lost so many years of my life NOT eating sushi. I feel cheated. I will be making up for lost time now. Sushi restraunts, beware.
5 comments:
You've gotta try Sakura ... over on the same corner as Chick-fil-A and On the Border. They have sushi happy hour every Tues-Wed-Thurs ... HALF price sushi from 5-10pm. I love, love, love sushi.
Oh, and Osaka, on Park and Preston has an all you can eat sushi buffet that is really good too!!
I can't believe you were a sushi virgin!
I did something simialr, but with horseradish for shrimp cocktail. I thought it was a dip for a cracker. We were in Boston mingling with so agents that Richard associates with. I couldn't spit it out...I had my handsfull. They didn't have water out, only a little cup of diet coke. My sinuses were clear for weeks! I'm sorry. I feel your pain
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. That is funny. Ya, I am not so down with the Wasabe either. I am glad that you like sushi though, it is SO good.
I haven't had sushi for years...when I used to go with some of my old chums from Vegas. I need to go out again for more. But, I wont be taking a spoonful of that Wasabi. That must have washed your palette (sp?) for a very long time.
I am a sushi virgin. It scares me. Granted, I am not very experimental -but the fact remains. It scares me. You are waaaayyy more adventurous than me! However, I DID notice that our Walmart has started selling "fresh sushi". Just how adventurous are you REALLY?
Post a Comment