24 July 2008

Blah-dom


Nothing is going on...at all. BLAH

I am now at a crossroads in my life.
Nick is working, (yea!) but there isn't going to be much money made until September at the earliest. We are so tight on the budget end of things, I feel like I can't breathe. It feels like there is nothing I can do to help alleviate some of the financial burden. It isn't possible to go back to work with three kids running around, and plus I REFUSE to leave them. I would rather be living on the street, then to have them go to a daycare. My only options are to find something to do from home or go work evenings somewhere, but what? Seriously. Any suggestions? I don't make anything that I could sell, and I don't want to do anything that requires some kind of financial investment because those end up being scams. As far as night jobs go, I have looked into hospitals, and department stores for stocking positions, and I won't go to Wal Mart (for obvious reasons). I am stumped.
I know things will work out. I am faithful. We pay tithing and we do all that is asked of us. I know that "the Lord will not forsake us" (see quote on side bar). But we will not be blessed unless we are doing everything in our power to make things work. I am very comforted to know that there is a light at the end of our tunnel. A short tunnel. If we can make it to October, we'll be in the clear. I am so glad to have such a great group of people surrounding me, that are so uplifting and motivating. And I also know, that we are not the only family in the world that has gone through these trials. Our trials are so small in the grand scheme of things. It could be so much worse. We could be out on the streets, we could have a sick child, or even worse still, death. I am so grateful for the gospel, and for the blessings that we can receive as long as we are faithful. I am so thankful that my kids are healthy and happy.
Ok...that was kinda random. I guess that gets me out of bearing my testimony for a while! I love all of you, may faithful blog readers.

5 comments:

Kellie said...

It sounds like you're experiencing just what we experienced a couple years ago in California. We were so tight I had to cut our grocery bill by $100, no cell phone, no internet, no television. We cut everything we could think of--we even turned off the air conditioner and just used fans! I thought about going to work nights too but my husband didn't think that would be a good idea because then I wouldn't have any energy to care for our children. We were already paying our tithing and fulfilling our callings but we evaluated our lives to see what else we could be better at in the spiritual side of things. Then we just had to have faith. Eventually, everything worked out. You'll get through this!
Kellie

Lisa said...

I am right there with you. I rescheduled my OBGYN appointment because we have no gas. Eric doesn't have gas to get to his part time job...

shahna said...

Just remember to tell yourself that the best things in life are free. I was just reading Elder Eyring's talk from conference, "O Remember Remember" and it was so inspirational! In the talk he suggests we keep a daily journal - but an atypical one- where we write down things each day where we have seen the Lord's hand in our lives. I think sometimes the way to get through hard times (in this case tight money constraints) is to do what you were doing and be mindful of all of your blessings. I think there is GREAT POWER in writing it down, though. I find that I notice those little things even more when I am going throughout my day. Sometimes I will say to myself, "that's one for the journal". Heavenly Father affords us tender mercies every hour. It is our job to look for and recognize them. Your a great girl Haley and you will get through this. I promise.

Gary Church said...

I'm so sorry, Haley! As for suggestions:

1. Maybe drop some flyers in your neighborhood for babysitting/daycare. I don't know ... could you handle another kid or two?

2. What about somewhere like CVS? They're open 24/7 ... and maybe they train to work in the pharmacy. I knew a punk kid in high school who worked as a pharmacy technician making $9/hour back then. That was 10 years ago. Plus, it's not stocking shelves. lol.

3. Or ... this could be the best one ... what about working at a movie theatre, you movie junkie?! Those places are open WAY late ... and then you'd get to usher out the bratty teenagers that ruin all our movies. hehe.

4. Target is almost always hiring. And they hand out jobs. Their interviewing process starts the second you complete their job app in the store. I interviewed for a job there back in August when I wanted to quit painting ... hoping for health insurance benefits to replace our $600/month premiums + $600-700/month in wages ... I got the job on the spot ... but turned it down when I found out that I had to work for 6 months before I was eligable for benefits. The pay? $7.50/hour. WITH A COLLEGE DEGREE! Were they joking? BUT ... if push came to shove, I would totally work at Target.

I'll keep thinking ... I actually lay in bed at night sometimes and think about what last resort jobs I would and WOULD NOT work. So, I'll keep you posted, if I have a stroke of genius.

Jenny said...

It will get better..I promise! As I am sure you know, and from all the people commenting..most everyone has a time (or 2 for us) that finances seem impossible but you'll get through it! I have some suggestions of things I have done for extra cash..call me!