23 December 2009

Christmas is Coming

As I take a moment from my pre-holiday cleaning, I reflect upon the birth of our Savior. It is almost cliche now to talk about "not getting wrapped up in the commercial part of Christmas", and keeping the holiday season centered around Jesus Christ. It is so easy to get lost in the anticipation of Santa's gifts and parties, and all of the "stuff". Try as I might to keep our attention on what truly matters, we still have the tendancy to let that attention shift.

Growing up, Christmas was the most magical time ever. I couldn't even sleep a wink on Christmas Eve, and on Christmas morning I was terribly disappointed when the presents were all opened and there was nothing left, hoping that there were a few more things hidden far beneath the tree. The past few years, finances have been terribly tight and gifts have been few, but truthfully, it hasn't mattered one single bit. You know why? I'll tell you...BECAUSE IT'S NOT WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT! I pride myself just a teeny tiny bit on successfully teaching my kids what this time of year is all about, and that they don't notice that there are just a few gifts under the tree. They are thrilled to GIVE to others. You have never seen two little girls more excited to give all of their change to the Salvation Army bell ringers outside the mall. They are not begg-y and whiny. They are grateful, loving, giving children.

I am grateful for my Savior and I am so blessed to have the Gospel of Jesus Christ in my life. I know that Christ was born and suffered for my sins. I adore the season of Christmas and I am sad that it is almost over, I just hope that I can do a better job of keeping the spirit alive in my home all year round.
This is my all time favorite ornament (at least it was and ornament until the hood broke off of Santa's head). This has been in my family for 20 or more years, and I love it. It has always helped me remember Christ, yet still enjoy the fun part of Christmas as well.
This was our Super Saturday craft and I love it!
And of course, my favorite Nativity.

2 comments:

jenjamin said...

Merry Christmas. Great thoughts!

ChellaJ [Rachelle] said...

Very nicely said. I love this time of year!! Hope you and your adorable family have a Merry Christmas!