28 September 2008

I Felt It

Last night and today have been very spiritually uplifting for me. I often wander through my days and weeks not feeling much of anything because I am too busy, or caring for a unruly nine month old. I am so grateful I was able to go to the General Relief Society meeting last night. Prior to it beginning I was complaining to Elizabeth about how all of the things that I would like to do, like playing the piano {because I'd have to buy one}, or graphic design {need fancy programs}, and photography {need a better camera}, all require one thing, MONEY. Then I begin comparing myself to others, saying "She's so great, she can do everything..." and "I just wish I could do such-and-such..." Then, dear, sweet Elizabeth always makes me feel better by making me aware of the things that I am good at. {love her}

When President Uchdorff got up to speak, I was enthralled. He was speaking to ME. ONLY to me. No one else. The point that stuck out to me the most, is that us, as humans, have a need to create things, to take unorganized matter and bring something into existence that wasn't there before. That doesn't mean amazing curtains, or the best baked bread, but making memories, or creating a smile. Us as mothers, actively participate with God in creating children. That was what I needed. I may not be a fantastic housekeeper, cook, scrapbooker, chef, but I have created three of the most incredible beings on this planet. And for that, I am an amazing person. I have this fire in me now to serve. I was so touched by Sarah's lesson in RS today. I felt the spirit she brought to the lesson, and have a desire to serve my sisters. President Hinkley said to the elderly woman who lost her husband "Work will cure your grief, serve others." I know that is true, and that is my goal. Alleviate the grief and despair that I feel some of the time by working and serving. I am so grateful for the First Presidency and their love for us as women. I am blessed to be surrounded by amazing women that share their testimonies and uplift me.

8 comments:

Amber Hooten said...

Wasn't last night wonderful?!? I love going to those meetings because they always help me to feel like I am a better person than what I think I am! It is easy to think negatively of ourselves. I am so critical of myself. I don't think I am good mom and all sorts of things. But then i realize that I am a good mom just in different ways than other moms! You are wonderful! I look up to you and your family!

Brooke said...

Haley I hate to say it, but he was talking to ME.

I needed that talk too. So when you come over to make tutu's we can talk about all of our AMAZING talents! :)

shahna said...

Ten things I love about Haley:

1. She is cuter than anything.
2. She is a wonderful mother.
3. She faces adversity with a smile.
4. She has an entertaining life to read about.
5. She is crafty - her house is so cute because of all her craftiness.
6. She bakes yummy cookies - she used to make them for our Primary mtgs - I miss that.
7. She is REAL. She doesn't hide her faults or act like she is perfect.
8. She makes my workouts go waaay faster when she works out with me because she is a chat queen - i love that.
9. She has a grateful heart.
10. Her smile. It warms my heart.

Read that and just try to feel crummy! :O)

Brit H. said...

Yay! Thanks for sharing that. I was unable to go to the broadcast last night so I am glad that you shared. You rock. Move to Utah already.

jenjamin said...

Ditto that! It was a great meeting. Aren't you glad you went. I love to hear about what other people took from that meeting. One thing is for sure is we all have needs and they will be met as we aline ourselves with the gospel. And as far as the creating topic... isn't that just the greatest... it is fun for a moment or two but enormously rewarding FOREVER. Now go create a great day!

Juli said...

Elizabeth is awesome! Thanks for texting me the other day, your so sweet:)

ChellaJ [Rachelle] said...

Haley, you are a hair diva, fun to talk to, and hang out with...And, so much more!

I loved going to the RS session - and yes, he was also talking to me too. I love the breakfast analogy. Sooo true.

Anonymous said...

you ROCK girl!