I am referring to camping. We went for a quick over nighter to a local campground. It sounded like a good idea, the girls were excited, and Nick was ecstatic. He has always wanted to get into camping, but I have never been to thrilled about it. After last night I realized why. It SUCKED! (pardon my french) The kids did have a lot of fun exploring, and making s'mores, getting dirty and they even became pros at peeing in the woods. It was a good time, for a while. Eli was awesome. But then it got late, 10:30 to be exact. And then began the ordeal of going to sleep. Again, the girls couldn't be more excited to sleep in a tent, on the air mattress, under cozy covers. I am sure it was thrilling. It took them FOREVER to fall asleep. I finally was able to sneak out of the tent, and hang around the campfire and talk with our good friends Scott and Holly. Initially I was planning on taking Eli home, but it got late, and I was tired so I thought I would sleep with him in the car. He slept, very well, actually, but it was an entirely different story for me. It was freezing, I didn't bring enough blankets and sleeping bags, and I may as well have been sleeping on a concrete slab. So at 1:00 am I packed him up and head home for my own bed.
It should have been easy to get out of the park. I said it
should have been easy. I got so lost and so darn turned around, that I ended up so far North (the opposite direction) that it took me almost an hour to get home. Keep in mind, this campground is 20 minutes from my house. It was dark, foggy, totally tree covered, and on country roads, no less! I was so scared and frustrated. I ended up following my initial instinct and turned around and by some miracle, made it out, still about 10 minutes off of my original course.
I made it home to get a few comfortable hours of sleep before turning around and heading back for breakfast. I have to admit, breakfast is the best part of camping, especially when you have Scott cooking it up. It was delish. We packed up camp and mad it home by 11:00 and we all were asleep by 11:30.
Nick has always told me that I am too "prissy" to go camping. Is that a bad thing? Is it a crime to love sleeping in a bed? Peeing on a toilet? I don't think so. I am not sure how frequently I will be returning. I can probably manage once or twice a year. Don't ask me for more than that.


8 comments:
kudos to you for trying. I hate camping too. This morning Ty had a game at 8 am and the ground was covered with dew and it made everything muddy and I got wet dirt and wet grass all over my legs and pants and shoes and feet. That is why I hate it. Yuck. Motel 6 is roughing it enough for me. PS, when you say you hate camping out loud, they call you as the YW camp director. I have 5 years of it under my belt.
OHHH I L-O-V-E camping, but only with an air mattress and when its not hot. My favorite part is the campfire, I could watch it for hours! And ditto for breakfast - way yummy. You should go the rustic cabin route - still like camping but with a bed, and sometimes a toilet! What campground did you go to?
I am with you!!!!! I LOVE the outdoors as long as I can sleep in a comfy bed, have a REAL shower, and an indoor toilet. So Basically I need a really nice cabin to go camping:) P loves to camp so I just let Steve handle that:) Your more a sport than I! I would never attempt to take a baby!
You're doing it all wrong! It's all about the gear....a trailer is an absolute must...especially with kids! Then you have your own comfy bed, a toilet, and running, warm water...as close to home as possible!
Jeremy and I don't like to camp much either. We like to sleep in our bed as well
Whoa.... ease up cowgirl! Camping is the funnest thing ever.... maybe because we are surrounded by boys but we truely love it regardless. Maybe you need to come camping with people that really know how to have a good time camping??? We'll have to do that!
I only like camping in a trailer, flushing toilet, hand washing facilites (I am a fanatic about that) and a bed - I HATE tenting it! BRRRR! So I am right there with you.
The only way to camp is in a trailer. We have always loved it, and the boys are always in heaven the whole time were out. But you do need a a sink, nice cozy bed, heat when it's cold and air conditioning when it hot, then you have it made. Then you'll love camping, just not in a tent. Yuck.
Post a Comment