20 February 2010

Horrible, Just Horrible


Almost exactly four years ago we fell in love with an adorable dog that we found on Petfinder. His picture was just calling our name with his cute perky ears and red bandanna. We drove two hours our to Bonham (aka Nowhere Land) and he became part of our family. Otie. Such a great dog. Two weeks later, we made a last minute decision to move our family to Northern California on a temporary basis. He made the 26 hour drive with us, and stayed in an Extended Stay with us for a month. When it came time to move into our apartment, we had to make other arrangements for him because we have him stay in the apartment. SOOO, we paid $200 to fly him back to Texas to stay with my parents. They only agreed to keep him on a temporary basis, and then it became a big burden on them. SOOO, they turned him back over to the place we had adopted him from. Three months later we moved back to Texas, and out of curiosity, I checked Petfinder to see if by some crazy chance he was still there, and lo and behold, there was his cute little mug crying out for me all over again. He then became our dog for a second time.

Over the course of the next four years, the love for Otie has dwindled. I fell out of love with him. I had been battling Nick about finding Otie a new family for at least two years. He is the sweetest, brightest dog. I have no legit reason for getting rid of him. He is obedient, kind, gentle, smart, and clam. The biggest issue I had was the shedding and hair. AND the fact that no one ever plays with him, walks him, or even pays attention to him (sad). I am too busy with school and taking care of my family that the dog fell waaaay down to the bottom of my list. Poor thing.

I won the battle. I hate to say it because I am NOT proud of it. I was just fed up.

Tonight he has found a new home. A classmate of mine at CCCCD was more than ecstatic to take him. She is a huge dog lover who just so happened to be looking for another dog. Perfect match. He deserves to be someone's baby, the center of their world, and he will be with this new situation. I am the bad guy. I knew I would be. I knew that everyone would be upset at me. But this had to be done. So sue me. In the long run we will ALL be better off.

6 comments:

Haley said...

This is your husband. Why did you decide to tell me this in your stinkin blog??? I was wondering where Otie was last night..? You're in BIG trouble missy! I will still love you, eventually.

Nat said...

I totally understand the issue with the shedding and hair, I struggled BAD with our dog! Sorry you had to be the bad guy, but I am sure the dog will thank you later!

My name is Andrea said...

Good for you, for loving him enough to let him go...

I have two doggies here...you want one?

Anonymous said...

And I have two boys you can borrow any time, too! :)

The A Team said...

that's why as much as i love animals, we have zero pets. it's too hard to shuffle the outside and inside animals. we tell the boys they can have a dog when they stop peeing on the floor (so who knows when that'll happen...)

Heather Hurst said...

I can't even imagine giving up my little angel! I guess some of us aren't dog people. I'm glad he found a good home. He really is a good dog! Too bad you're not closer to us.