28 August 2009

Stir Fried Noodles

I head up an enrichment group in our ward called "Girls Night". I am in charge of putting together one monthly activity to just have fun. Sometimes we go to the movies, or swim and just gab away (what we all do best). Sometimes we even end up hanging around till 2 a.m. I am not sure how "enriching" sleepless nights are, but we have a great time. This month I asked the totally awesome Carrie Hutchinson to teach us some down home chinese cooking. {Carrie is from Hong Kong so it was appropriate.} Everything she made was FABULOUS. She joked about how Julia Child wore pearls and she wore turquoise. This darling chunky turquoise necklace and earrings I might add. She is just awesome. We had Cashew Chicken, Stir Fry Noodles and Tomato Beef. SOOOOO yummy. She sent me home with all the components to assemble the Stir Fry Noodles. Thank heavens she did, because selfishly I made it this afternoon with out my kids knowledge and I am not too sure I want to share. So here is a tutorial:

(disclaimer: my photos suck, therefore possibly making this look a teeny bit unappetizing. Its REALLY GOOD though.)

Stir Fried Noodles
Ingredients:

Rice Noodles or Spaghetti
Shredded Carrots

Shredded Green Onions

VERY thin Egg "Pancake" or Omelets-cut into thin ribbons

Ham-any variety-cut into thin ribbons
Oil (canola)
1/4 c water and/or chicken broth
Salt (pinch)
Soy Sauce (just a dash)
Sesame oil (just a dash)


Almost all of this is eyeballed, there are no exact measurements. If you want more veggies, add more. If you want more ham or noodles, add more. You get the gist.

Directions:
Soak rice noodles in water to soften for a few hours, or cook spaghetti halfway (you still want it a little hard)
-Heat your oil in a large pan (NOT a wok)
-Add green onions and carrots to oil, you want to infuse the oil with the flavors
-Sauté for a few minutes
-Add eggs and ham and cook for a few more minutes
-Now add the soaked noodles, water and/or broth
-Stir it all up, and cover until the noodles begin to soften completely
-Once its all ready to go, add just a dash of soy sauce for color more than flavor as well as the sesame oil to give it a nice sheen.

This is great as is, however, if you'd like to kick it up a notch, add some sweet chili sauce. I had none so I improvised and it worked out great. I mixed La Choy Sweet and Sour Sauce and a tiny bit of Sambal Oelek, and poured it on top. FABULOUS.
Finished Product

5 comments:

Brianne said...

Yum. I was craving some more of that today. Gotta make it to the Chinese market one of these days. Delish!

Jen V said...

YUM! That looks and sounds so yummy I want to hop a plane to Texas!

Did Carrie give you any other 'mix in' ideas? 2 of my kids are allergic to eggs - so I'd need a substitute - or I'd need to make it just for me:)

Erin said...

You forgot to mention that you were Carrie's cute assistant. This was my favorite of all the dishes she made. I can't wait to try it for dinner one of these nights. Thanks for step by step instructions for those of us that are too impatient to wait for her recipes.

Anonymous said...

The pictures are awesome! And the tutorial, may I say, is second to none. Your noodles turned out better than mine, I kid you not. A++!

Ashley said...

Oh my gosh! I am sooo jealous!!!