19 May 2009

When I Grow Up

As far back as I can remember, I have wanted to become a nurse.  My senior year of high school I opted to go the Technical Center and become a certified medical assistant. Thinking that I could transition into nursing school and life would be peachy. I sometimes have a short attention span and lack follow through in pretty much most anything I do. One year into my medical assisting "career", I left it for a completely different path, a software design company. I had a blast working there, I loved it actually, and then, less than a year at that job, I was let go.  I have been floating ever since. When I have needed to go back to work, I get as close to the medical field as I can get. I even had a short stint for a medical products company, where I was able to go into different hospitals and work one on one with then nurses.  I know it may sound strange, but I actually LIKE hospitals. But my only experience with them is when I have my babies, so I have good memories.  But, I am simply drawn to it.  Whenever I meet a nurse, I can't help but want to talk to them forever, and know everything about what they do. They probably hate me!  I have a burning inside of me that has always been there, sometimes it gets snuffed, but it is still there.

 I have never thought of myself as someone that could be smart enough to go through the schooling to become an RN. I know that is completely untrue. I graduated high school with a 3.8, and the little amount of college I did complete, I did very well.  I think more than anything, I was scared. So I quit altogether. Just didn't even try. How pathetic. So now, here I sit, seven years later, with that burning going stronger than ever. But now, I have 3 kids.  What a dilemma.  I have decided, however, that I will return to school and actually finish, and when I am done, I will be a Registered Nurse.  I have no plans yet as to what I will do with my kids, but it will work out. This is what I have to do. With any luck, I will be starting classes this summer! Yay!

6 comments:

Eric and Amy said...

Congrats! I always wanted to be a nurse too. You'll never regret it! Good luck!

Brooke said...

Good for you! I started out in a nursing program in Mesa AZ. Then I found out I don't do vomit AT ALL. Zero%. So that route didn't work for me. Too bad too, all that time and money. But I enjoyed my classes!

I am going back to school too. Next year though, after Mike finishes his masters. Like you I love the medical field, just not the vomit. Love the blood (is that sick?). Anyway I am choosing sonography. I don't know what requirements are here. . . I know in AZ I had to do radiology first and then on to ultrasound. GOOD NEWS, all my nursing classes knock off some of the classes required for radiology!

LONG RAMBLING! GOOD LUCK! You will do great! I know you have other offers too, but know we would love having your kids over any time. Isaac loves playing with miss Bug.

Nat said...

I completely support you!! Get all the education you possibly can.

Ashley said...

I am so proud of you Haley!!!! You are going to be a fabulous nurse!

Nat said...

Nursing is by far the best career with the most options for a mom! School is tough but you can totally do it!! I was one of the few students in my class who wasn't married, majority of them had kids and they did it! It is totally worth it! Good luck :)!

Lisa Marie Trent said...

After spending a month+ at Primary's, I felt the same thing- that I would be good at it. And these people get to help people all day- then go home.

I really think you'd be great, and I think you should do it. Please Hay, good for you- go get an RN.