29 July 2008

Oh Dear...What Have I Done?

Thanks to the RS lesson on Sunday about abuse and how to overcome it/protect families against it...I have changes the blogging world (at least in my ward)forever. I made a comment how we need to be careful about putting our kids names, what sports teams they play for, and places that we frequent, on our blogs. Mainly for the fear that some freak of a child abductor will snatch up our kids from the park or school even. They can pretend to know all about your child if they just read your blog. Now, here is my predicament: I do my blog for my friends and family. I have a lot of family that reads my blog that does not have Google accounts, and going private would make it so they would no longer read my blog. Therefore, it will remain public. What I need to do, is never mention anything about where I live, or have my last name anywhere accessible on my blog. If you have any other suggestions on how to be public, yet be able to protect my family...pass them on!

4 comments:

shahna said...

you didn't influence ME to go private, if that is what u were thinkin'. i had decided earlier that week to do it because of something totally unrelated. i say do what is best for you and your fam.

Gary Church said...

Make sure that you remove your blog from Blogger's listings ... it's somewhere in the settings. Also, remove your blog from being seen on your profile when someone clicks on your profile from a comment on another blog. I haven't checked to see if you already did these.

Further more, post something on your blog asking all of your friends to remove your blog link from theirs UNLESS they have also removed their blog from Blogger's listings. Then the only people that will find your blog are those who already have the URL, or have linked from another friend, who's blog is out of the listings ... so they must be a friend of a friend.

Also, if you do decide to go private, your family doesn't need a google account. They can set up a Blogger account to sign in using whatever their existing email is. It's easier for them than you'd think. GOOD LUCK!!

The A Team said...

our blogs are a little safer than other accounts. on myspace, someone can search for you using your name or email address but on blogger if you're off search engines the only way someone can find you is if they know your url address or find someone linked to you. if you keep out specifics you should be okay.

AnoelleB said...

Holy cow, thank you for explaining that! All of a sudden everyone in Texas was going private, and I wondered if there was some sort of epidemic. I've pretty much just done what you're doing along with Ami's tips. That way it stays easy for not-so-tech-savvy family, but safe enough that I feel comfortable posting cute photos of my boys.