23 June 2008

I May Not Be the Brightest Bulb in the Box

Three words for you: Ess-Pee-Eff (aka SPF). Obviously something I think that only my little kiddos need. Well, after today, I will be added to the list of peeps that get slathered up prior to the swimming. I always get everyone else covered, yet I forget myself. I think subconsciously I want to get a little color so I tell myself that I "forgot" to SPF it up. I think the lovely shade of LOBSTER red pretty much satisfies my need for a "little color". My other issue about this whole burn-age is that I am the person most likely to get some form of skin cancer cause I am one white, mole-y chick.

I remember vividly an incident that happened at a Wendy's in Beaver, Utah. It was my senior year spring break and myself and a bunch of friends were headed to lovely St. George (the Mormon kid's Cancun). Mid way there we stopped at Wendy's for some food. I recall having a black T-shirt on and it making me appear quite pasty, and keep in mind this MID MARCH! The sun usually doesn't make its grand warming entrance until June in SLC. One "friend" of mine came right up to me and said "Oh, hon you are SOOOO white, and you know, TAN is really more attractive." HA! I remember dying inside, half of me so insulted and the other half wanting so desperately to say "Oh yeah? I hope you get skin cancer, I heard tanning beds are really good at giving that to people." But being the lovely, reserved young lady that I was, I bit my tongue and just smiled and walked away. For a long time after that I was quite scarred. But now, when I go to the pool and see old leathery hags, I am thinking that tan is truly not more attractive.

Okay, I am quite sure some of my DEAREST friends are totally offended right now. And for that I apologize. But were are living in 2008, and we KNOW what the harmful UV rays can do to us. And yet we (yes, I am part of the WE) continue to expose ourselves. I am calling for a revolution. Let us band together and slather up the SPF! Who's with me?


(For those reading this that don't know me, and my quick wit and sense of humor, (wink wink) may think that I have some issues. Just know that I am partially kidding!)


Notice the racoon eyes. Curse the big sunglasses trend!

I am joining the halter-neck tan line club.

The burn line from the bow!

13 comments:

Nat said...

Oh dear!!!! I so very clearly recall that incident at the Wendy's. Isn't it incredible how one simple comment affects the rest of our lives?!?!?

My name is Andrea said...

ouch! it matches your hair...

:)

Brit H. said...

Holy fried!!! Does it hurt? I hate getting burned! Oh and anyway, forget about what that "friend" said, I know who it was and she sucks anyway. haha.

Eileen said...

H-A-L-E-Y! Sorry on both issues!!! I amen all of the above, and have one more word. . . .ALOE!

Eileen said...

H-A-L-E-Y! Sorry on both issues. I amen all of the above, and have one other word to share.......ALOE!

ChellaJ [Rachelle] said...

ouch. I like a little color but that looks really painful.

LaFish said...

Ouch! I totally relate to being pale and pasty instead of tan and tasty. The red hair doesn't lend itself to being able to tan. And on that note - I will be out at play group this week "glowing" in all my white glory at the pool!

Jody said...

My coach used to laugh at me because I had neon white legs. I just kept thinking to myself, "I may be neon white but I won't have skin cancer." Darn those naturally dark skinned people!!

YoungFamilyBlog said...

Oh my gosh girl you are crazy! Hey I have always believed in sun block. It is better to be white then dead! I hope it gets better soon

The A Team said...

ahhh, andrea took my comment. i agree with you...i'm pasty and proud!

Gary Church said...

For what it's worth ... I'm right there with you right now. I have a huge bandage on my shoulder blade, covering a blister with Aquafor ... because I too, 'forgot' the sunscreen. OUCH! Never again!

Lisa Marie Trent said...

Let me guess who the friend was that told you you were sooooo white.....

hmmmmm...

shahna said...

two words. tanning lotion.