26 May 2008

Just Putting it Out There


I have been very hesitant to post the little trial we are going through in our life right now. I figure the more people that know about it, then that only can help us improve our outlook. About 2 weeks ago, Nick lost his job. But to really understand this, you need a little history about what he has done the last three years.

In September 2005 we were somewhat in the same position as we are now. Nick needed a career change. He had a job that was so time consuming, that he couldn't even go searching for another one. Then, by some small miracle, the family that moved in next door, owned a home theater installation company that they had going in Northern California. Their main contract was with Circuit City. They were looking for someone to start it up here. Nick was their guy. He started immediately. He loved it from day one. He has loved it every day since. Working with this company, he was an independent contractor. There are benefits to being self-employed, but as we learned over the course of the next three years, the cons began to outweigh the pros. As time went on, things progressively got more strained with the company. So a year ago, we started our own install company (sort of). Mainly doing side jobs, and referrals. All the while he was still with this other company. Well, 2 weeks ago, the company lost their contract with Circuit City.

Which essentially means, Nick is unemployed. We have a small amount of work coming in, but nothing stable enough to sustain us long term. Nick is now at a crossroads in his life. He LOVES home theater. He is amazing at what he does. He is contemplating working at a very high end store in Dallas, called Star Power. However, in this economy, trying to make a living that is based entirely on the consumers disposable income, is VERY risky. His big dilemma now is whether he should change careers entirely. I am for a complete career change. After all, with home theater, he would have to work every Saturday for the rest of his life, and it is long hours. We are completely ruling out self employment. We are not cut out for the paying your own taxes, and health insurance. There are no benefits, and that is what we need more than ever.

I am not writing this to get a pity party. My main purpose is to assist Nick in networking. If he is going to find something stable, with decent pay and benefits, it is going to be because we know someone. You know the saying "it's all about who you know". Nick does not have a degree, yet he is not too far from getting one. He has 8 years experience in sales and management. I figure this blog is a great way of networking considering how many people look at it! So help us out! If you hear of anything, keep Nick in mind!

7 comments:

Randy said...

I'll help any way I can. Do you plan to stay in Texas? Have Nick email me his resume and I can send it out...There is life after tough times. Trust me.

The A Team said...

we've been there and it's never fun. i'll keep my ears open for you guys.

p.s. you look awesome!!! congrats on your weight loss.

Brooke said...

I wish I knew you guys in AZ. . . Mike's dad owns an amazing business, and it is growing so fast. We send EVERYONE that way.

I know things will work out for you, they always do :) Just remember to have faith.

Once again you LOOK GREAT. So jealous it's not working out for me the same way. . .

Amanda said...

I FEEL your pain! I will let ya know if I hear anything....unfortunately that's not Steve's field at all so I won't be able to network for ya.....but your right that a job a lot of times comes by who you know:)

Lisa Marie Trent said...

We, also, know exactly how you feel. Josh is self employed with real estate and financial investment. And we have like, $500 in the bank, and a new month coming up that requires a $1100 health insurance payment to keep our son's appointment for heart surgery next month. You are wise to rule out paying your own insurance.
I wish there was something we could do. If you guys have a good credit score...then we could help you. Otherwise, we'll call you when we need a new home theater. Which we will, when we get all rich and powerful.

jenjamin said...

Dang.... I wish we didn't know so many people in your position but we do and it is so scary and what a cross roads you are at.... You are wise to be thingking about all your options though, I will keep my ears open. Now don't you go moving to Utah, now that we are finally moving to Texas. You'll be in our prayers.

Amber Hooten said...

Haley, just came across your blog. I am sorry to hear about the job loss. Clay went through this last year. He was out of a job for almost half the year. I know that doesn't sound consoling, but things have their way of working out. Just keep your prayers and your faith going. You are lookng great by the way! Keep up the good work. It feels GREAT I'm sure to get so many compliments and words of encouragement.