23 February 2008

Assertive...Who Me?

I am not the most assertive person in the world. I am one that is more than likely to take it when someone is rude or nasty and not say anything . I usually try to be non-confrontational, but today was a turning point. Now keep in mind that I didn't know any of the people involved in the two instances that I am about to share. Both happened while I was at the mall today (Saturday), with 3 kids, all by myself, and the girls were both walking. Usually Jada is in the stroller, Sophie walks and Eli is in the Baby Bjorn. Today, however, I decide to forgo the Bjorn, and Eli was in the stroller. I am crazy. The girls were doing a VERY good job of staying with me, both keeping a hand on the stroller at ALL TIMES.

Instance #1: We needed to get upstairs and the elevator was out of service. I was not about to walk to the other end of the mall to get to the other one. I decided that we could manage the escalator. (I know that isn't the smartest idea, but I have 3 kids, I have done it before.) This lovely woman behind me obviously noticed that I was seriously endangering my children, and thought it appropriate to comment. "Do you think that it is a good idea to do the escalator, you have your hands full." She says. I reply with a kind, but direct response of, "yes, don't worry about me I have got this under control." At that point I thought the issue had passed. She then proceeds to say "Well, I don't want to get into horror stories, but I once saw a mother accidentally let go of the stroller and her baby got seriously injured." Gee, lady, thanks a million for that one! So again, I reply kindly with, "You know what? I love my kids, and I am not going to let anything happen to them." But this is my turning point...drum roll please..."I would appreciate it if you would mind your own business!" Ohhh...you go Haley! I have never said that ever, at least in serious, non-joking instance. I was so proud.

Instance #2: We were just arriving at the indoor play-place at the mall. Eli was asleep in the stroller, and the kids had already made it in. I know that strollers are not really permitted in the area, it is a tight squeeze. But on the opposite end from where the entrance is, was an entire empty bench. So I set my sights and decide to go for it. Then this mother, let me see if I can draw and accurate picture of her: major mom jeans, in a lovely acid wash; a pale yellow sweatshirt with an airbrushed picture of Eeyore of Winnie the Pooh fame; disgusting old sneakers; large, round tortoise shelled glasses; and frizzy hair. Got it? Well, she was the self proclaimed play area monitor, and told me that strollers aren't allowed in there. I said to her "oh, well, there is an empty bench and I have a sleeping newborn. I am going in." And for the SECOND time today I said "I would appreciate it if you mind your own business." I was on fire. I was a force to be reckoned with! Then the whole time I was there, she and her friend were sitting there staring at me and pointing and whispering to each other. And I, of course returned the stare, with what we in high school liked to call a "crusty face".

Some of you may read this and think that this is hardly a blog-worthy story, but it is big for me. I am a friendly person, and can get along with anyone. But I am sick of trying to be nice all the time and getting walked all over because I am scared of sticking up for myself. I didn't know these two women, therefore felt it necessary to start my assertive-ness now.

13 comments:

Brianne said...

Wow, you go girl! I'm like you and usually wouldn't say something like that, but maybe in those instances I might have the guts...how rude of them! I'll never understand why some moms think they are know-it-alls and must share their unsolicited advice. I wish I could have been there to help you give some crusty glares, I'm actually pretty good at that :)

Amanda said...

I was going to say exactly what Brianne said!!! WAY TO GO! I am usually on the opposite end of your spectrum....I will say something if someone directly talks to me like that! Sometimes I say too much!

Sarah said...

you go girl, I am sick of people being rude and not minding their own business too. The only problem is I hate confrontation and would do anything to avoid it. So I usually find myself upset about something and keep it to myself.

ChellaJ [Rachelle] said...

It's soooo crazy what can come out of some people's mouth. I remember right after I had 'L', I was in Micheal's and the lady at checkout said she knew someone with that same name that had a freak accident and died. WHAT the CRAP? I have a newborn...did you really just go into detail about that story?

I don't like confrontation, but you gotta say something every once in a while! Way 2 go.

Gary Church said...

That deserves three snaps, in 'Z' formation!

Isn't it liberating to hold your own? I'm actually seeing the opposite happen to me. I used to have no problem sticking up for myself ... Gary is making me more and more shy and reserved every day. Blast.

YoungFamilyBlog said...

Well Haley I think you are turning into me! Ha Ha watch out it is never going to stop now!

Brooke said...

There are so many times where I wish I would stop and tell people to back off. Next time I think I will. Thanks for the inspiration. :)
Hey when can we get together so I can see your cute kids again?
Brooke Combs

Stephanie said...

HA! Thats the best story ever! I love how other people always have to put in there two cents. isn't it lovely.

I have taken a stroller in the play area with a sleeping baby also. The mall security kindly came over to remind me that it wasn't allowed, so I told him that we would leave when the kids were done in 10-15 min. He said ok and walked off.

it's not like that have that rule so they can arrest you if you break it.

IT's just because it can get crowded.

If I was there with you I would have given her a crusty too!

thats the best

Stephanie said...

HA! Thats the best story i've heard all day! your awesome. love that you gave 80's lady a crusty.

seriously, you had a sleeping baby. What the heck!

I've done it too! I even had call security come and tell me I couldn't. I just told him I would leave when the kids were done and he said ok and walked off. what was he going to do? arrest me?

Stephanie said...

ok, so i posted a comment and it got erased, So then I posted some what of the thing AGAIN and the first post showed up. EHH!

Anonymous said...

You go Haley!!Sometimes people just need to be reminded that you have your life and they have theirs. They need to think these things to themselves and NOT say them. They don't know what your situations is. You ROCK!!
p.s. Love the description of the play area monitor!!

Lisa Marie Trent said...

OH dude- people just need to SHUT UP. Like you are honestly going to say "Gee, you're right, I'm being a bad parent and I should do what YOU say, cause you are a complete stranger, and I trust you- more than I trust myself."

PSH. Jack fell out of a shopping cart at Smiths', and he was in the basket because the seatbelt in the seat was BROKEN in the first place, so I figured he was safer at a less-higher spot in the cart, but he managed to fall out anyway, and he was fine- I know when I kids are truly hurt, I can tell by their cry- and this stupid old woman comes up and says "Can I make a suggestion? You should take him to a Doctor."

Like I was born yesterday, and Doctor's were JUST INVENTED.

I said thanks. Cause Everything else I wanted to say was rude.

Lisa Marie Trent said...

I would have said "As long as we're telling horror stories, I heard about a lady who stepped over her bounds and got pushed down an escalator. She was badly injured."